Wednesday, October 7, 2009

While at the French Methodist Institute...

I attended school year round and was able to work and go to school between October and May. The money I earned went for my room and board, tuition, books and other expenses.

While I stayed in school I paid ten dollars per month…others paid, as they were able. Most of the boys and girls were given a job of some kind to help with the tuition. Everybody had to make their bed and to keep their room in order. After we dusted and swept our rooms the teachers would conduct an inspection.

There is much for which I am grateful; the principal, Dr. Paul Villard was very understanding and so was my patient and kind teacher, Miss Edith Nicholson.


I think I gave Miss Nicholson much trouble, especially in our Bible classes. At that time I was still a Roman Catholic at heart; but the way she answered my questions disarmed me completely. Miss Nicholson became one of the most beloved teachers I ever had.

The years I spent at the Institute 1909 to 1915 were very happy ones.
…………………………………………………………

In 1915, I entered the Wesleyan College and registered for courses that would lead met to an A.B. degree. Here Miss Nicholson registered me and with great sense of satisfaction it seemed. After I registered we met often. In the course of events Miss Nicholson became Assistant Registrar at McGill University.


In 1920 I had a completed the courses for my B.A. and was to receive the parchment. At the convocation all the graduated walked to the platform. The respective names were called to receive their diplomas. Here I met Miss Edith Nicholson again. I believe she was as thrilled as I was; as she handed me my diploma she exclaimed “Good for you Pascal!”
CLICK on Nicholson…this could be a picture of Pascal’s beloved teacher who worked at McGill University. The 2nd Nicholson link is a picture from McGill...and history of McGill.
http://www.tighsolas.ca/page337.html

1 comment:

dorothy said...

Hi, I am the woman who posted the Website about the Nicholsons.(I saw you came to my site..) This page has Ediths' Bio www.tighsolas.ca/page661.html.

Also, I found a piece written by Viellard about the Instutite and copied it here...www.tighsolas.ca/page86.html. The Westmount Library has a copy..and so does canadiana.org